Goal: To improve the quality of our water resources and increase water conservation.
Environmental Master Plan
The 2019 Environmental Master Plan (pdf) identifies six focus areas: water, ecology, community design, air, energy and waste. See our progress in each focus area by clicking on the tiles below.
Highlights of achievements
2021 marks 10 years since the EMP was first adopted by Council as a planning tool. Much has been achieved, including:
- Implemented the Green Cart program, reducing residential waste to landfill and decreasing GHG emissions
- Installed co-generation at Collicutt Centre and solar panels at Sorensen Station
Facilitated community renewable energy installations throughout the city, expanding to one hundred times 2010’s capacity
- Created Urban Forest Management Plan to help us maintain a sustainable urban forest and all its health, social and environmental benefits
- Water use targets have been consistently achieved and strengthened
- Installed methane flaring at the Waste Management Facility to reduce GHG emissions
- Trialled an electric vehicle and used grants to purchase other EVs
- Worked to reduce emissions from Transit by switching to natural gas buses
- Used a grant from Federation of Canadian Municipalities to hire a Climate Change Specialist
Goal: To decrease the amount of waste going to landfill and increase waste diversion opportunities.
Goal: To reduce energy use and move towards using renewable energy sources.
Goal: To protect and enhance the terrestrial and aquatic health of the natural heritage system.
Goal: To plan and build a well-connected, sustainable community that contributes to a quality of life for residents.
Goal: To improve air quality and reduce emissions.