Parking Infrastructure Project
Currently, Red Deer’s parking technology is antiquated and doesn’t provide much flexibility for customers or offer a great customer service experience. We are also at a point where our technology cannot be repaired due to the age of the equipment and the inability to obtain parts. In 2021, City Council approved a budgetary request to replace the equipment and align our practices with new technology that is easier to understand and use and improves the overall customer experience.
Project milestones include
- Removal and disposal of existing parking equipment and technology
- Implementation of new parking systems that provide consistent parking payment methods throughout the downtown
- Introduction of Licence Plate Recognition (LPR) as the primary method of enforcement downtown
- To achieve uniformity of equipment (pay stations) throughout downtown while reducing repair and maintenance costs and increasing levels of security on the street
- Implementation of software for the new equipment that will connect with the existing ticketing system and provides enhanced reporting and data collection
- Alignment with the principles outlined in the Parking Management Strategy:
- Customer Focus
- Economic Development
- Financial Sustainability
- Multimodal Transportation
The project is expected to be completed by summer 2023.