Good news! You don’t need a permit to build a fence.
But we do have some guidelines that you’ll need to follow when building your fence:
- Build your fence on or within your property line. Your Real Property Report can show you where your property lines are.
- Build your backyard fence no taller than 6 feet, 6 inches (2 metres) and your front yard fence no taller than 3 feet (0.9 metres).
- Use safe building materials. You can’t use electrified materials, protruding sharpened spikes, broken glass, or barbed wire.
- Check with your subdivision developer or home builder to see if there are architectural controls in your neighbourhood.
- Make sure you have adequate sight lines if you live on a corner lot. You can’t build a fence, grow a hedge, or put any other screening materials that are higher than 3 feet in sight line areas.
- Make sure you have reviewed and understand the clearances for Utility Right of ways. Details on these clearances can be found here: http://www.reddeer.ca/city-services/electric-light-and-power/electrical-safety-information/utility-right-of-way-urw-safety/