If electrical wiring exists and you are replacing existing fixtures (ie. switches, plugs, lights), an Electrical Permit is not required. For any alterations or new wiring, a permit is required.

Who can apply?

A licensed electrical contractor or homeowner can apply for an electrical permit. Homeowners must own and reside in the property they are wiring. Contact Licensing at 403-342-8182, licensing@reddeer.ca or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday for business license information.

The City of Red Deer allows homeowners to obtain permits; however, if you have had no previous knowledge or experience with these installations you should engage the services of a licensed contractor to apply for the required permits, and complete the work.

Experience has shown persons not familiar with these installations, and the applicable code requirements, often complete work that requires extensive corrections and can create hazards.

Homeowners are not permitted to complete the following work:

  • hot tubs or pools
  • main service or panel changes
  • duplex, townhouse or any unit with a shared wall
  • secondary suites
  • solar panels
  • rental properties
  • electrical car charging stations

How do I apply?

You can apply for your permit online using MyPermits or fill out a paper application and submit it in person on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or email it to inspections@reddeer.ca.

graphic design for MyPermits
Homeowner application form image

Please note: electrical permits for solar installations must be applied for in person at Inspections and Licensing. Additional documentation and a Safety Codes Officer review will be required.

What inspections will I need?

You will need at least two Safety Code inspections during the course of your electrical installation:

  1. A rough-in inspection before concealing any work
  2. A final inspection when all fixtures and covers are installed and all wiring is completed

You will be required to correct all deficiencies. Re-inspection fees or other penalties may apply.

How do I schedule an inspection?

Electrical Masters Permission Form (pdf)

For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.