During budget deliberations earlier this year, Council approved the 2021 Capital Budget for the G.H. Dawe Community Centre project. The enhancements will improve access, increase opportunity to modernize fitness and programming, provide additional outdoor amenities including a spray park and washroom facilities, and modernize the current ice surface and add a second surface.
The modernization/improvement of the G.H. Dawe Community Centre focuses on the following areas/aspects of the facility, which were not upgraded as part of the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Revitalization Project in 2008.
- To meet ice user needs with the decommissioning of the Kinex Arena:
- modernization of the existing ice surface to NHL standard size
- twinning of existing arena
- relocate underground services to facilitate the twin
- To meet parking, site servicing and egress requirements:
- Introduce right in and right out site access off of 67 Street for improved traffic flow and parking
- create facility access on the north side of the facility
- To align with Phase 2 of the 2007 G.H. Dawe Master Plan:
- review fitness/programming and barrier-free access opportunities
- outdoor spray park and outdoor washroom facility
“Proceeding with the G.H. Dawe Community Centre project right now enables us to benefit from cost advantages, while stimulating our local economy at a time when our community needs it most,” said Sarah Tittemore, Community Services General Manager. “The project will work to provide as many opportunities as possible to engage qualified local contractors at a time when it is needed the most.”
Starting later this week, contractors will begin to mobilize on the site, with office trailers moved into place, and safety fencing set-up. Full site preparation will begin near the end of May.
Pending approvals, the contractor will begin underground service work that will extend between June and July. At the same time as this work is taking place on the site, inside the facility demolition will begin in preparation for the project tie-ins. Any disruptions to programs and activities on the site will be communicated, and it is anticipated that programming like summer camps and fitness activities to be transitioned to another facility for the duration of interruptions.
The G.H. Dawe Community Centre is a community hub for citizens living in north Red Deer and across the city. The facility is shared by the G.H. Dawe Community School, the G.H. Dawe Branch of the Red Deer Public Library, and St. Patrick's Community School.
For more information about the G.H. Dawe Community Centre project, visit www.reddeer.ca/daweproject.
For more information, contact:
The City of Red Deer