The application deadline for the Environmental Initiatives Grant has passed.
The Environmental Initiatives Grant will provide up to $10,000 to support community-led projects that empower citizens to take action to achieve the vision and goals of the Environmental Master Plan. Total funding available in 2023 is $50,000.
- Application deadline is Friday, April 28, 2023 by 4 p.m.
- Applicants will be notified of a decision by May 31, 2023
- Projects must be completed by December 31, 2023
- Final reports will be due January 31, 2024.
Registered non-profit societies in good standing serving Red Deer are eligible. They must provide proof of recently filed Society Annual Return with the Government of Alberta and not be in arrears with The City of Red Deer for any municipal charges. Individuals with ideas for projects will need to work with a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrate that the majority of those directly benefiting from the project are Red Deer residents
- Support at least one of the goals outlined in The City’s Environmental Master Plan (EMP)
- Priority will be given to projects that involve partnerships and contributions such as volunteers, cash, materials and supplies
Eligible projects include but are not limited to workshops, activities and initiatives that increase local awareness of environmental issues and participation in climate change mitigation, adaptation or restoration projects. For example:
- Host a virtual two-day conference to focus on the threats and vulnerabilities facing the watershed
- Collect water pH, total dissolved solids and temperature data, and ship water pollution kits to schools and individuals
- Support citizen science environmental projects at summer camp designed to educate children about nature
- Promote active transportation by providing service safe, secure and free parking for bicycles at large festivals and other major community events
- Diverting bicycles from the waste stream by hosting bicycle repair workshops
- A student led initiative to divert waste masks from the landfill by repurposing them
- Major structures and/or renovations to structures that are not moveable or removable
- Projects in progress or completed prior to the funding application
- Duplication of funding already provided by The City of Red Deer
Funding may not be received if there are outstanding reports due for previously received grants.
Please review the complete Grant Application Guidelines (pdf) before starting your application. Also find resources and technical advice in the Application Resources file below.