The G.H. Dawe Community Centre will close from May 1-June 25 for construction as part of the on-going G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project.
We anticipate the facility will re-open on June 26, with some exceptions:
- Construction will continue as we work towards full completion of the project in early 2023.
- The Fitness Room will not be available; some larger pieces of existing fitness equipment will be temporarily moved to the “mall area” until the grand opening of our new health and wellness spaces in 2023. Use of this equipment will require a daily admission or monthly pass.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
Where possible, programs that typically operate from the Dawe will be accommodated elsewhere. Outdoor fitness classes, aquatic leadership programs, swimming lessons and dryland programming will be partially accommodated at the Recreation Centre, Michener Aquatic Centre and the Collicutt Centre, as well as Setters Place and Servus Arena. Please check your program registration for location information.
Access to the Dawe branch of the Red Deer Public Library will be maintained throughout construction.
The closure is needed as part of ongoing G.H. Dawe Community Centre project. While we have been able to largely maintain facility access, we need to complete work on the fitness room, water park and program spaces. In order to do so safely and efficiently, a full facility closure is needed. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here are just some of the changes:
- Two NHL standard ice surfaces
- Expanded fitness area, with running track and two fitness studios
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Fully accessible change space and pool deck party room
- A new washroom in the Preschool program room
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
For more information about the Dawe project and the closure, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
For more information, please contact:
The City of Red Deer