A fire ban for the city of Red Deer remains in place through the long weekend, as high temperatures and dry conditions persist.
Red Deer Emergency Services has responded to numerous complaints regarding backyard fires since the fire ban was implemented May 1, and wishes to remind residents that the following fires are not allowed within city limits:
- Open fires using charcoal, briquettes or wood
- Any source of open flame (i.e. tiki torches)
All existing fire permits are suspended.
The following fires are allowed:
- Certified portable gas fire pits
- Certified gas stoves or barbeques designed for cooking
- Certified cooking appliances utilizing charcoal, briquettes or wood pellets on residential property
Residents who notice someone having a fire during this fire ban are advised to call 9-1-1. Any person contravening the fire ban will be subject to a $210 fine and applicable response fees.
This ban will remain in effect until conditions change and further notice is given. Updates are available here.
For more information on fire bans across the province, visit https://albertafirebans.ca/.