In many cases, The City of Red Deer acts as a conduit to its citizens as we share provincial and federal pandemic response information in timely and consistent ways. However, it is important to note that The City is not the authority responsible for making decisions on things like public health orders and restrictions, travel bans and/or economic stimulus packages, to name a few. Learn more about government roles and responsibilities here.
Nonetheless, we recognize that The City is a critical information source for Red Deerians: the survey tells us that the Province of Alberta website is the primary source of information for 18 per cent of Red Deerians, 15 per cent indicate their primary source of information is The City of Red Deer website.
With this in mind, we continue to work to share critical information, even where we are not the primary authority, especially as it pertains to the following areas:
- Provincial public health orders and information
- Signage, billboards and local media advertising related to provincial and municipal face covering regulations/bylaws, social gathering restrictions and business impacts.
- Information about where to get updates and information from the provincial and federal governments as it relates to Covid-19 generally.
- Provincial and federal restrictions/regulations
- Sharing provincial and federal information that is critical to protecting our community during the pandemic
- Municipal Covid-19 related bylaws
- Sharing information about when, where, why and how to where face coverings in accordance with provincial and municipal face covering regulations
- Reporting and/or enforcement processes and protocols
- Highlighting when, where and how to report infractions
- Focus on education and awareness wherever possible, issuing fines only when education fails
- Business related Covid-19 support and information
- Promotions for “Shop Local” initiatives, highlighting local businesses and entrepreneurs
- Community Kindness Initiatives
- Mask normalization campaign
- Shop Local initiatives
- Public health information
- Social marketing (pay it forward initiatives)