SwimAbilities® is a learn to swim program geared for children with special needs. SwimAbilities® provides lessons where the caregiver is in the water to provide one-on-one focus while being under the direction of a certified instructor. SwimAbilities® assists children and their caregivers to increase safety, independence, and enjoyment in and around the water. Children may begin SwimAbilities® at any level and may continue into other swim programs if they are comfortable doing so.
Every child who does not yet fit into regular lessons is welcome in SwimAbilities®, regardless of whether or not they have a diagnosis.
Recommended ages: 3-16 years old
Who would benefit?
- Children who need or would benefit from:
- A slower paced lesson with additional practice time
- Basic learn-to-swim instruction
- Additional support learning swimming routines and/or public swimming routines
- Additional one-on-one safety supervision
- Parents or Aides who are in the water with the child, will also benefit from learning:
- Techniques to support the child in learning and performing the swimming skills
- Routines that are the same or similar to routines found during public swim