Making a Claim FAQ

This section describes how someone can make a claim against The City if they believe The City is responsible for their injury or damage.

My vehicle was damaged in a pothole. What should I do?

  • Be sure to note the exact location, date and time of the accident and notify The City so that any needed repair work can be completed.
  • Assess the damage: Make a written list of all property that is damaged. Note which property is permanently damaged, i.e., will never be usable again.
  • Document the damage: Take photographs to document the extent of damage and the items affected.
  • Report the Problem: In order to prevent further claims and enable The City to promptly repair the pothole, please report the problem.

Should I call my insurance company?

  • Yes. Many insurance policies cover cleanup and the cost of repairing or replacing water-damaged property. Also, they may suggest methods to minimize the extent of your damage. Your insurance representative can provide full details.

Note: Depending on the situation, you may be eligible for more compensation from your insurer than you can recover from The City. If your insurer believes The City is liable it will deal with The City on your behalf.

What if I think the damage is The City's fault?

  • If you want to claim directly against The City, Claims/Incident Report (pdf) provides the information you need. When the claim is reported, an investigation of the location and details provided will be handled by Risk Management staff. Based on the findings of this investigation you will be compensated if The City is found to be legally liable for the damage.

Will The City pay my costs?

  • The City of Red Deer only pays claims when all evidence indicates it will be found legally liable. This approach minimizes costs for taxpayers who ultimately bear the cost of claims.
  • We recommend that everyone whose property is damaged contact their insurance representative to report damage promptly; this is a requirement of your insurance policy.