Protect your vehicle
Prevent vehicle theft
The best way to protect your vehicle from being stolen is to lock it.
- Always lock your vehicle. Never leave a running car unlocked to warm up as some thieves specifically look for this opportunity on cold mornings.
- Protect extra vehicle keys. Ensure you remove the valet key that some models of cars leave in the owner’s manual.
- Electronic engine immobilizers offer the highest level of protection against auto theft. All new model vehicles in Canada come equipped with them.
- Vehicle alarms and steering wheel locks provide extra deterrents for thieves.
- Park in well-lit areas near pedestrian traffic or inside a secure garage.
Prevent theft from vehicles
Theft from vehicles accounts for a high percentage of property crime in Red Deer. Ensure your vehicle is not a target by:
- Removing valuables including smartphones, GPS and keys. Put anything in the trunk that could tempt a thief, even loose change or empty shopping bags.
- Removing garage door openers from vehicles. Thieves will use them to gain access to the contents of your garage or your home.
- Ensuring windows (including the sunroof) are completely closed and doors are locked.
- Keeping registration and insurance papers locked in the glove box.
If your vehicle has been stolen or broken into, call Red Deer RCMP non-emergency to report it at 403-343-5575. If you witness a theft in progress, stay back and call 9-1-1.