Drone No-Fly Zone Map
Drones in Red Deer
Transport Canada says the rules are needed to ensure the safety of Canadians after the number of incidents involving drones tripled since 2014.
If your recreational drone weights more than 250 grams, you may not fly:
- Higher than 90 metres
- Within 30 metres of vehicles, vessels and the public
- At night or in clouds
- Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles or people
- Within 5.5 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome (any airport, seaplane base, or areas where aircraft take off and land)
- Within 1.8 kilometres of heliports or helicopter exclusive aerodromes
- Within 9 kilometres from a natural hazard or disaster area
- Near areas where your drone could interfere with police or first responders
Please make sure your drone is:
- Within your sight at all times
- No further than 500 m from yourself
- clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number
A fine of up to $3,000 is possible for any recreational operator who does not comply with the new rules.
The new rules do not apply to drones for commercial, academic or research purposes.
For more information about the new safety rules for recreational drone use, please visit: